Friday, June 15, 2018

Rody to protect barangay officials fighting drugs

President Duterte, whose tough stance on narcotics helped him win a landslide victory in 2016, said he would not allow barangay chiefs performing their duty to be jailed.

By Alexis Romero

President Duterte has vowed to extend to barangay officials the legal protection he promised to soldiers and policemen who are fighting his war against illegal drugs. 

Duterte, whose tough stance on narcotics helped him win a landslide victory in 2016, said he would not allow barangay chiefs performing their duty to be jailed. 

“I take care of my armed forces and the police. That is why they don’t have a problem anymore. Cases? Performance of duty? Shot a thousand in the line of duty? Fine. I’ll support you,” the President told barangay officials in Cebu last Thursday.  

“I will never allow a soldier or police or barangay captain to go to jail for killing someone in the performance of their duty. And I will tell you, you will never go to jail,” he added. 

About 4,000 drug suspects have been killed since Duterte waged his brutal war against illegal drugs in 2016. Critics claim Duterte’s promise of legal protection has emboldened the police to commit extrajudicial killings and other human rights violations.

Officials deny this, saying law enforcers only use violence if suspects pose a threat to their lives.

Last year, Duterte said about 40 percent of barangay captains in the country are involved in illegal drugs. 

The President said the success of the government’s anti-drug campaign depends on the cooperation of barangay captains. He reiterated that he is ready to kill officials who “destroy the country” by facilitating the sale and distribution of narcotics. 
“Only you (barangay chiefs) can put an end to the drugs, not us. Sometimes the police refuse to act because the barangay captain is there. There are many problems in our nation. I am asking for your help,” Duterte said. 

“I’m almost begging on my knees because what I want for myself is to look into the mirror when I’m no longer president and see that I have done something for my fellowmen and the Filipino. And I will have a full sense of fulfillment for doing my duty.” 

Duterte said he was considering providing barangay chiefs with guns for their security but the proposal needs to be discussed further with government forces. 

Reposted from Philippine Star. Photo credit: Presidential Communications)

No comments:

Post a Comment